Jun 25, 2007

Theological questions

A year and a half ago Risto was almost 4, Tuomas almost 2 and Jaakko a newborn. It was getting close to Christmas, the house in a semi-mess after our moving in in October and I was, as always, in a hurry somewhere and trying to get all three dressed warmly enough when Risto stops me with an important question:"What does God eat?". It's the sort of question, in my opinion, that cannot be answered with a shrug and "I dunno, let's get moving!". I'm pretty sure God doesn't go to Maccers for lunch, but how to explain that. As far as I know, He doesn't really eat. It took me a while to try to answer his question. I thought that he was satisfied with this when his next question came:"Are Jesus and Father Christmas friends?". Quite an understandable question since Jesus is born at Christmas..... another thing hard to explain. His third question seemed to be just as important question for him, but more easy for me to answer:"What are these pieces of lumber doing here on the floor?" I sighed in relief that the theological questions were over and I could answer him while I was still trying my best to get the boys dressed and out of the house and hurry to where ever it was that we were late from.

The next summer at his cousin's christening at my parents summer place (the service was held outside by the lake) Risto sat in a chair, looked like he was in a bad mood. After the service I asked him what was wrong. He looked surprised and answered:"I was listening to the priest!". He was just obviously concentrating! Later on he has pointed out several times that he was the only one of the children to sit and listen.

At day care they talk about religion, go to church and I guess once a month a pastor from the nearby congregation comes to talk to the kids. Easter time made a big impression on Risto and he was angry that "they killed God" and asked me why. I tried saying something that Jesus taught things that some people didn't agree with. I'm not really good at answering these theological questions, but in my opinion it gives me the opportunity to really think about what I believe in. He still talks about the killing of Jesus, remembers all the details. Whenever I compliment him on his good memory he always answers:"Yeah, Mom. And I still remember when I barfed when I was a little boy!"

Last week I had to answer "where does God live?". I mumbled something about Him being everywhere and nowhere specific. Obviously not a good answer since Risto was annoyed and informed me to "read it from your God-book!".

Last night Risto started again to think about God's housing problem, but this time remembered that I had told him that God is invisible. It was quite funny when Risto showed me how God can come in through your throat and out of your mouth since He's everywhere and invisible like air.

And today Risto strikes again:
"Mom, isn't it so, that God is the most important thing in the world?"
M:"Yes, dear. If you want to think like that. Other people find other things the most important ones, but you have every right to think God is the most important."
R:"And the second most important thing is the Earth."
M:"Yes." I was curious to hear the next important thing... Mom... Dad.... Peace on Earth.... Friends?
R:"And the third one is MONEY! I'm sometimes quite a smart boy!"

None of my guesses made it to the top 5. Fourth was food and fifth bicycling. Should I be worried that my son thinks that money is so important? Is he beyond saving?!?!?

5 comments:

Outi Loimaranta said...

A wise boy indeed. About the money-thing, he might be taking to his dad a bit on that matter :) And I bet He'll eventually learn that money is nowhere near the top 5 list of life in general. And most likely God will be bubbling under as well. Hope Earth stays on his list forever, though. As for the playhouse pics you kindly requested, can't do. :)

Melanie said...

Great questions, Risto! I'm amazed at the depth of the questions from such a young boy! And as for what he eats, Luke said that Jesus ate broiled fish and honeycomb after he was resurrected so I suppose he eats whatever he wants. I like to think that when I have a resurrected body, I can eat all my favorite foods and not gain weight. It wouldn't be heaven without really good food!

Anonymous said...

Aivan mahtavaa ;-)

1) Oli mukavaa lukea kuulumisianne piiitkästä aikaa
2) Risto on kyllä mainio. Pienestä miehestänne on aineksia vaikka mihin!
3) Vastauksesi toimivat hyvänä opetusmateriaalina sitten, kun Nuppu alkaa joskus ihmetellä taivasasioita :-D.

Voikaa hyvin!
-pH

Anonymous said...

Äitinä sitä tosiaan saa vastata mitä ihmeellisempiin kysymyksiin. Tulee itsekin pysähdyttyä hetkeksi miettimään näitä tärkeitä asioita ;o).

Toivottavasti juhannuksenne oli onnistunut!

Jonna

mamãe said...

Kiva kun löysit mun blogin ja ihanaa lukea teidän kuulumisia! Oon monta kertaa miettinyt mitä teille kuuluu. Ihanat pojat teillä!