Jul 17, 2007

Camping

DH went camping with Risto and Tuomas today. My cousins husband invited DH to join him and his 7 friends who have taken their children camping on the island of Kaunissaari. This is the 11th time; 9 fathers and about 20 children. Obviously this trip needed a lot of preparation: a new tent, new sleeping bags, + all the food that had to be taken with them. The boys and DH practiced sleeping in the tent last Thursday. I gave Risto two 2€ coins and Tuomas a 1€ and 2€ coins (Tuomas said he was happy only to have one coin.... the concept of money isn't that clear yet) and told them that they could use it to buy some candy from the kiosk on the island. Risto called me later that day and he was on cloud 9:"Mom, I bought cookies and an ice cream. And I didn't have enough money, but the lady gave them to me anyway. And guess what? Guess what was the best part? Dad didn't get to decide what to buy!!!! I bought it myself!!! And I decided!!!!"

I spent the day in Porvoo with my cousin. It was so wonderful to walk the streets in the old town and to decide what to do, which shops to pop into. Well, Jaakko was along (they said that he's too young to go camping, needs to be without diapers... i.e. I have 12 months to get him potty trained!!!). Now I have Tuesday evening, Wednesday and Thursday morning to myself (and Jaakko). And guess what I'm going to do (well I started it already). I painted the wall in our bedroom!!! DH hasn't got a clue and I'm not sure how he'll react. The wall was an ugly gray, now it's a light beige. I'm quite proud of myself: we came home from our trip to Porvoo (via the paint shop) at around 7:30 PM, Jaakko was in bed after 8 and the wall was painted and everything cleared by 9:30 PM.

DH has the camera with him, so I can't get an "after" picture, yet. Here's the "before". It's DH's birthday on Thursday when they get back. I wonder if this is a good or a bad birthday surprise?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your painting and new look appears so clean and restful....I'm guessing your husband will like it a lot!

Laura said...

Thanks, vonnie, but this is the "before" look, the ugly gray wall (IMHO) + all the clutter on the counter top :-) I hope you'll like the "after" look, I have mixed feelings.....