Jan 26, 2011

Pulla!

I wanted pulla. And I knew I had the ingredients. I had bought levadura (dry yeast) from the local grocery store during our first week here. And we had leche in the fridge, huevos, too. And the blanco stuff, harina y azucar. Mantequilla to add to the dough and also spread inside the cinnamon rolls with canela y azucar. And a bottle of wine to use as a rolling pin (I used Chilean Santa Carolina, 2006, but I doubt it makes a huge difference in the end). I was a bit hesitant about using dry yeast and the directions being a bit vague, but I wanted pulla so bad that I gave it a try even after realizing that the core ingredient of Finnish pulla, cardamomo, was missing! Working up the dough with my bare hands was fun albeit a lot of work. I've usually been lazy and let the machine take care of it.
Ta-dah! Raw korvapuustis are considered a delicacy in our family. My father loves them as do my boys, except for Tuomas. I had one.... or maybe two. The combination of butter (and not margarine!!!), sugar and cinnamon is mouthwatering.
I let them rest for about 15 minutes before baking. Cold milk is best with fresh pulla, the bottle was just used as a rolling pin and left un-opened.
Some people brush the cinnamon rolls with eggs before heat treatment at +225C, but I often skip that. We ate more than ten, but there are some left for breakfast.

No comments: