May 2, 2007

Before and after

Before and after pictures are so fun. It's always nice to compare and see the progress (or regress). Risto rode an ATV (all-terrain vehicle, mönkijä) with Auntie P's husband, Uncle J, and his face go quite muddy. I asked him to wash his face. Before washing. Slightly muddy face. The picture is out of focus, I know.
After washing his face. I should've been more specific and said:"Don't just wet your hands and wipe your face with them. And look in the mirror!"
After. Oh boy, there are 3 of these monkeys in our home.

At Auntie P's I'm always given the opportunity to rest. But what does an exhausted working mother of 3 boys do. Take a nap? No, she has to knit!!! I finished the Sophie bag I started 2 weeks ago, but I made it deliberately bigger with the increases every 20 rows instead of 10. The yarn is from Pirtin kehräämö.This is the bag before felting. My over-enthusiastic boys helping.
Before felting. There is a balloon inside the bag. I knit also a flap on the opening. I plan to fasten with a magnetic snap.
Before felting with the balloon inside.
Usually it takes 2-3 rounds in the washer at 40-60C. I turned my back and Jaakko turned the temperature dial to 90C, almost boiling water. No need for any extra rounds in the washer. Well, I washed it when we got back home. In the first wash there was a yellow rug, too, and the bag ended up being covered in yellow lint. I ran a knife across the whole surface and the braided handle and wanted to give it one more wash to get the surface better.

Finished. Uncle J asked an odd question:"What are you going to do with the bag?" DO? The whole process gave me something to do, should the bag have a function already?!? Good heavens, it's just been born!

No comments: